Wednesday, April 25, 2007

Mystery #155 - Endings


Joey Presents: Great Mysteries of the Universe
Mystery #155 - Endings

They say that every ending is a beginning, that as doors close they also open. They say that looking back is wonderful, so long as you can remember to look forward a bit, too. And, of course, they say I told you so, because of course they did.

Part of me wonders why we need the ending, though. Can we not possibly just have a new beginning without the ending? A whole hallway of open doors as far as the eye can see?

I know that's a stupid question. Well, not a stupid question, but just one not worth asking because the solution would involve time travel, which I myself am morally opposed to because of certain religious convictions ("Thou shalt not time travel" - Leviticus 87:43). It's really just a question asked so that it's there. We all know the endings are important, that when a plant overgrows its pot it must be taken out in favor of a bigger one. No loss, no new pot, no more room, and eventually no more growth.

Instead I just stand here from my little rhetorical vantage and survey the scene. It befuddles me that the routine of my life, all of you, are leaving me. Liz Meyers jokes will no longer be universally understood (sorry Liz, you know it's out of love), my AP family won't be in all of my classes next year after all, Aubrey and Melissa will no longer make muffin pilgrimages along the music hallway, and speaking of music... well, let's just say there are too many things to say to speak of music.

Basically I think I'm trying to say goodbye. Like the rest of life's little mysteries, this is just one more I have to accept. Good luck to some of you, good bye to others, and to all of you let me say it has been an incredible pleasure. Here's hoping this next pot will be worth the one we're giving up.

Something tells me it will be.

No comments:

Post a Comment