Monday, January 21, 2008

Mystery #129 – Martin Luther King Day

Joey Presents: Great Mysteries of the Universe
Mystery #129 –
Martin Luther King Day

I wrote a blog about Labor Day and figured I should probably write one about today as well. It’s called equality, people, and that’s what this day is all about. That, and not having to go to my chemistry Lab.

I see a flaw in Martin Luther King Day, however, a tiny little flaw, an abbreviated flaw, if you will.

See, Martin Luther King Day is often written as MLK Day. This makes a lot of sense to me, as just now typing both versions I can tell you the second is much easier. But this isn’t a problem of writing; it’s a problem of reading. See, when I see “MLK Day” I don’t think “Martin Luther King Day” so much as “Milk Day”. Those are two completely different ideas. One is the celebration of a man who championed civil rights; the other is probably just a holiday for dairy farmers and a really sad day for people with Osteoporosis.

But worst of all, this situation shows me just how far we still have to go. When I think “Milk Day”, I think milk, and when I think milk my bigoted mind can only imagine white milk, “normal” milk. It sickens me that even I, in this day and age, can be host to such prejudices. I can only hope that someday the word milk will mean more to me: a harmonious spectrum of milks of every shade and hue. To me, that’s what today is really about.

No comments:

Post a Comment