Friday, January 4, 2008

Mystery #132 – The Light in the Pizza

Joey Presents: Great Mysteries of the Universe
Mystery #132 –
The Light in the Pizza

This great mystery goes out to Caitlin Morgan, a great mystery herself.

Caitlin dropped by today after giving blood. Which is to say, she was bleeding for fun and the reasonable follow-up activity was to come see me. Awesome. She brought with her a CD, the soundtrack for A Light in the Piazza, which she had gotten for Christmas. I had heard of the show, but knew nothing about it. As she showed me her favorite song, she gave me a brief summary.

“They’re in love, but he doesn’t know that she has the mind of a ten-year-old.”
“Why? What’s wrong with her?”
“I’m not sure. I think she got kicked in the head by a pony or something.”

This intrigued me, mostly because I thought it sounded stupid and assumed she was wrong. However, the internet comes through yet again.

she was kicked in the head by a pony at age 10”

The whole thing is a lot like the movie Jack, only that kid really was ten, and also he was Robin Williams. Instead we just have the typical love story formula: girl meets pony, girl meets mental retardation, girl meets boy, boy and girl live together creepily ever after, roll credits. My favorite part is the title. I don’t think “piazza” is Italian for “American tourist’s head”, but if it was I think it would be fitting. The lights are on, but nobody’s home.

No comments:

Post a Comment