Monday, May 12, 2008

Mystery #119 – Adventure

Joey Presents: Great Mysteries of the Universe
Mystery #119 – Adventure


So, dear friends, the time has come for us to part. For those of you who do not know, the day after tomorrow (which is Wednesday, but "the day after tomorrow" sounds more dramatic. That's probably why they called the movie that, instead of just "Wednesday") I'll be getting on an early flight to China, and won't be coming back to you until August.

I know a lot of you guys have family in other places who you go spend summers with, but for me that's never been the case. This trip (three months!) will be the absolute longest I've ever been away from good old Chandler, AZ. It’s a little exciting and a little scary, but I think I’ve finally gotten myself psyched up for it. Plus, I’m just really excited to have some time to spend with my dad. This may be a good time to mention, for anyone not yet aware, that my dad moved to China last summer for his job. He’s been back now and then for the holidays and stuff, but I still really miss him a lot.

Now, some important information for ya’ll, and the real reason for this blog.

1) My phone won’t be working in China (duh), and we may disconnect it altogether to avoid paying buttloads for it to sit, off, in my pocket. So just in case don’t call or text anytime after, say, noon on Wed (I’ll be flying to Cali first, but once I get on that second plane I’m as good as gone).

2) There are other, non-phone ways to keep in touch. Facebook is a great example. For those of you looking for an actual email address, mine is nerd7863@cox.net. I don’t IM much, but if I did that first part of my email is my sn.

3) This one is important, so it gets a special tab. www.skype.com has a WONDERFUL free video chat/IM software. I vote you download it and find me, which you can do by clicking “add contact” and searching for my email address. Skype works almost exactly like AIM, only you get to choose to talk in a chat box, video chat with webcams, or even video chat with just microphones (like a telephone, but free).

4) Skype does this other nifty thing that may be harder to explain, but I’ll try. When I’m in China, I’ll be getting a Chinese phone. Through skype, I can set up an account with my phone so you guys can call me. Basically, skype sets up a number here in AZ and you call THAT number (so it isn’t long distance, see?). Skype also sets up a Chinese number, and connects the two through the internet. Your call goes through the AZ number, through the internet, comes out through the Chinese number, and calls me on my Chinese phone. Just like that, we’re chatting on the phone from different countries, but it’s as if we’re both making local calls (basically, you won’t have to pay a finger per minute to say hello). I’ll be posting that number as soon as I get to China and get it set up.

So there ya go. Between email, skype, and my skype phone, anyone who wants to keep in touch this summer can. I’m going to miss all of you guys like crazy, so please do. I’ll be going on some pretty crazy adventures to some places I had never dreamed I’d go. I promise you all I will post pictures, video, and blogs about all the stupid stuff that I get into. But there’s one more thing, which is extremely important.

CHINA TIME IS OPPOSITE AZ TIME! I love you guys, but please do not call me in the middle of the night to tell me that one show is on that we both like and you thought it was cool. I’m especially worried about this happening once I get my cell phone hooked up, so please listen carefully. China time is 15 hours ahead of us. The trick we use to figure the difference is by adding 3 hours to the time in Arizona, and then flipping am for pm. So, for instance, as I write this it is 9:27 am here in Chandler. Adding two hours makes it 12:27 am, and so it is 12:27 pm in China. Obviously the times aren’t COMPLETELY opposite, and there are plenty of times to talk (generally mid afternoon to early morning) so you night owls can call whenever you want. General rule of thumb, though: if you’re eating lunch, I’m probably asleep. Call me, and risk losing souvenir privileges.

No comments:

Post a Comment