Monday, May 5, 2008

Mystery #121 – Perspective

Special Edition: Great Mysteries of the ASU-niverse
Mystery #121 – Perspective


I wrote my last Human Event paper on perspective. It was really awesome. Basically five pages on this poem, where at first the narrator sees everything around him one way, before suddenly arriving at this whole new interpretation. Just like that, perspective shifts and the picture changes altogether. It's like the first time you see an Escher drawing, or when you finally get the knack of a Magic Eye. Swirls and chaos collapse into something as simple as a rose, and you realize it's been there all along.

Our dorm is blank. I took down posters today, which leaves me, JD, Artemus, a fridge and a microwave. It's odd seeing the walls this white, all the nooks empty, because it's the first time it's felt this way since move-in.

Looking back, it's funny to imagine how different everything seemed. Not big differences, but broad experiences. That feeling you got the first time in a new place that now is so familiar, or the way you used to orient yourself based on landmarks that you've since replaced.

It reminds me of the time I found out the park our cross country team trained at was the same park my friends lived by. With the team, I always approached from the opposite end, and from that corner everything looked so unfamiliar. It wasn't until that revelation that those two parks collided into something with more than one side to it, something I had experienced in more than just one way.

I had a funny blog for today, but Word won't open and I had to write a new one. At first it seemed like a huge inconvinence, but having written it, I'm not so sure.

No comments:

Post a Comment