Monday, May 28, 2007

Mystery #154 – Galoshes


Joey Presents: Great Mysteries of the Universe
Mystery #154
Galoshes

A galosh is basically a condom for your shoe. In the event that you don't want your shoe to get wet, or if you just don't feel like another shoe is what you really need right now, you just slip on your galoshes before tramping out into the rain. I personally just think it's a silly word. It always makes me think goulash, which I then get confused with Gulag. Just an FYI, the former is a Hungarian beef stew, while the latter was the government office in charge of Soviet work camps (which in turn makes me think of Ivan Denisovich, random). Yeah, I know, little different. Ah well though… Apparently these things (galoshes, not beef stew and prisons) were originally made of cloth, which makes me smile. It'd be like Sea World selling knitted sweaters for people to wear in the splash zone at the Shamu tank. Plus, I hear they make your footsteps really super quiet. Makes me wonder if the galosh industry doesn't have a thriving presence among the ninja demographic.

No comments:

Post a Comment